Tuesday, December 2, 2008

making a difference -- early am observations

well here it is early am, which is my usual time to rise -- at least at this point in my earthly plane of existence -- and reading through my email i find encouragement, discouragement, laughter and hope. how you ask, so much in emails? well, first a forward from my wife about where my younger daughter will be volunteer teaching for a year. it is written by a volunteer who is now there. i am encouraged that like her sister, who has gone on several short term mission trips, she will be making a difference.

then discouragement from a disgruntled learner who thinks grades are all that matter; laughter from my daily dose of comics (where would we be without the capacity to laugh?), and finally, hope from my daily dose of devotionals -- leading me back to encouragement that we all can make a difference.

making a difference: my wife and i often wonder if the gypsies did not switch daughters on us, much like tooth fairies who leave you something of great value for something of little value, our daughters are both so much more than we are. we just have to know that they are a gift of great and immeasurable value.

i have done much, have many letters after my name, etc., but most that really matters is exemplified in my daughters, and this due to my wife. i will never be able to measure up to what God has done in them! i am externally (no, not eternally, as I am only mortal) grateful that i did not get what little i would have settled for, but oh so much more.

okay, so this was a bit more serious than i would normally blog, but, hey it is 6:15 am and all is quite and still and not a creature was stirring, except me, through out the house and while visions of christmas in wash dc with all of my family stirring in my mind, i just waxed seriously.

No comments: